Anyone who has ever used a roller on a blank wall knows how powerful paint can be. The color you apply to your walls, ceilings, floors, and doors can completely transform the look and feel of a space, which makes painting one of the easiest ways to add bold statements and a whole lot of personality to a home.If you’ve been contemplating a paint job but aren’t sure where to start, you may want to take a look at the list of tips and tricks below. It outlines 12 basic ways paint can have a huge impact on a living space, and as someone who has spent months trying to figure out what to do with a bunch of the rooms in my new home, I can honestly say that these ideas have filled my head with more inspiration than I could have ever imagined!
1. Don’t Paint The Entire WallPainting half or three quarters of the way up a wall creates the illusion that the ceiling is higher, which makes the room feel bigger and more open.
2. Think Before You PaintThe colors you choose to use in a space can have a dramatic effect on productivity and emotions, so prior to painting, you need to consider who will be spending time in a room and what its main purpose will be. For example, if you’re painting a nursery, green is a great color option because it promotes calmness, thinking, and concentration.
3. Paint Your FireplaceAn old, brick fireplace can make a room feel outdated, but it’s a problem that is super simple to fix! A few coats of paint can turn this common design dilemma around in no time.
4. Experiment With Unique TechniquesIncorporating a fun painting technique into a space can help you achieve your desired theme. For example, faux denim walls perfectly complement this camping/ fishing themed bedroom.
5. Paint The TrimSomething as simple as painting trim can have a huge impact on the look and feel of a room.
6. Brighten Things UpA fresh coat of white paint in a room that has a lot going on can liven things up and also create a sense of calm.
7. Paint The FloorAnother great way you can use paint to transform a space is to use it where you’d least expect it, like on the floor!
8. Go GreyPicking a neutral color doesn’t mean you’re boring! Going with a timeless shade, especially something that has grey undertones, creates a calm, clean look that you won’t get sick of any time soon. Neutrals are also super easy to work with in terms of furniture, art, and other accents, which is where you can step outside the box with brighter colors, patterns, and textures.
9. Mix Bold Colors And Patterns
If you’re looking for design choices that are completely different from the rest, opting for a mix of bold patterns and colors, like this hexagon wall, is perfect for you.
10. Paint The CeilingAnother unexpected area you can use a unique paint color is on the ceiling. It adds a totally new element to a space and gives you the opportunity to spice up a neutral room.
11. Create A Fun Accent WallIf you don’t want to commit to a crazy color scheme or pattern, you can still make a bold statement by accenting neutral walls with a strong paint color.
12. Paint The Interior Side Of An Exterior DoorWhile it may sound unconventional, painting both sides of an exterior door is a simple and affordable way to boldly accent your home.